Monday, December 14, 2009

Reaction to Silver 1

Summary
1) FROM SCIENCE FICTION TO REALITY
The appearance of Dolly, "who had been cloned directly from a single cell taken from the breast tissue of an adult donor," had very big impact to the world like most people everywhere talked about it. This fact also surprised almost all scientists included Silver, who thought that such cloning was impossible. After that, an idea that "humans could now be cloned as well" occurred to the general public and many people opposed human cloning. Since people think so, science related to Dolly, such as animal genetics, embryology and so on, especially biotechnology industry, got reduced. Against this situation, many scientists argued the low possibility of human cloning. However, Silver thinks that it will become possible if the "technological barrier" is broken, and he suggests the question, "whether it could be used safely or not." Moreover, he indicates that the history shows us that people do not wait until technology is proved as safe.
2) FROM PLANTS TO TADPOLES, BUT NOT MICE
The original meaning of the word clone is that "a cell, or group of cells, from one individual organism is used to derive an entirely new organism."

Critical Reactions
1) When I read the last 3 paragraph of FROM SCIENCE FICTION TO REALITY, I was persuaded that the history showed us that new technology may not wait until the question, whether it could be used safely or not, has been resolved. Silver gives an example that ICSI as a cure for infertility was embraced "long before any consequences to the children born could be ascertained", and he, moreover, writes; "the demand for cloning from individuals and couples is sure to be stronger than the demand for ICSI." Many people tend to pursue an immediate profit so such a result occurred, but at the same time I might do such a foolish thing in another field... We should think more carefully about any topics.
2)This article was written in 1998, so 10 years has gone since 1998. I am wondering current situation about cloning technology. Of course I have heard Dolly, but I only know it as a cloned animal. As it is mentioned in the text; biotechnology industry was reduced, but does it mean that the research of cloning end? I should get information in order to solve this question.

Discussion Questions
1) Do you know a cloned animal except Dolly?
2) Whether do you think clone technology gives us benefit or not?
3) Do you wanna eat meat of cloned animals?

No comments:

Post a Comment